We believe that a health care facility should care about the health of the environment. After all, how can the humans that live in a place be healthy if their surroundings are not? We have tried to construct our dental practice in a way that reflects this concern for the environment whenever we could efficiently do so.
These are some of the aspects of our office that reflect our “green” vision:
- We selected some environmentally-friendly materials when building the practice. These include: bamboo flooring, 100% recycled material for cabinetry, cambria countertops (a natural, green alternative to granite, mined and manufactured in the U.S.), and low-VOC paint.
- Some characteristics of our office greatly reduce water usage. We have dual-flush toilets and a dry evacuation system that uses no water- potentially saving a quarter million gallons of water annually.
- We are a mercury-free office, and we use a special filtration system to prevent the mercury removed from old dental fillings from entering wastewater.
- We are reducing paper and plastic waste in several ways. We have digital patient charts, and we can make all of your communications with our office paper-free, if you prefer. We choose items that can be sterilized and reused instead of disposables whenever possible. We recycle the office paper that is used, as well as any plastic bottles or aluminum used by staff or patients.
- Our office uses digital x-rays, exposing patients to significantly less radiation than traditional x-rays, and eliminating the need for the toxic chemicals traditionally used in x-ray processing.
- We are latex free. Due to the high number or latex allergies in the community, we substitute nitrile gloves as a safer option.
- Our medical waste is actually turned into building material! Check it out.
- Whenever possible, we always purchase the “green” alternative: We have the most effective disinfectant and cleaning wipes that happen to also be environmentally-friendly! You can read about them here. We also purchase cardboard suction tips instead of plastic and our cotton products are organic. We use eco-friendly cleaning products for the floors and bathrooms. We print our business cards and brochures on recycled paper, and the toothbrushes that we give out are made from recycled plastic.